Sunday 7 October 2012

Happy Thanksgiving and what I'm thankful for

Well, it's Thanksgiving Sunday (7 Oct 2012) today and I just woke up in Saint John, NB, at a relatives house after an eventful night out with some great friends to celebrate my friend's birthday. I wish I had pictures but after dropping my phone it no longer holds the SD card, so right now the camera function does not function. Anyway, we met up at the Ale House today to try and piece together what happened last night and sample some of their famous Buttermilk Battered Chicken which was delicious, and after going our separate ways I feel extra thankful this Thanksgiving. I attempted to make a FB status about it, but there was no way I could give it it's proper due, so I'm making a post here.

Things I'm thankful for:

Family and Friends
I've been blessed for another year of good health and happiness. I think after having done my Phase 3 course and now completing Phase 4 with some of the same people, there was certainly an addition of extra beauties in my life. I'm thankful for my Mom and Dad, aunts and uncles, and my grandparents, and my great grandma who is still winning a staring contest against mortality at the ripe old age of 94. I'm thankful for all my old friends for still being my friends and I'm thankful for all my new friends who I hope will always be so.

I don't want to list specific names as the list would be too extensive and I am fearful I would forget someone.

My Career
I'm thankful that I've found a career that helps sooth my ambitions and helps me accomplish a sense of purpose and direction. I lucked out because I could have easily done so many different things and I'd still be searching for something like this. In this profession I meet some of the greatest people and so I can also thank my career for my Family and Friends. There's nothing that makes you appreciate your Family and Friends more than being in the Army.

Being born in and living in Canada
Reading the news today about the conflict in Syria and Turkey, and how the IDF shot down a (most likely Iranian) drone flying in their airspace, I'm thankful to live in Canada. Through no doing of our own, we were lucky enough to be born here, safe, sound, and free. Any place where I can get belligerently drunk and shoot my mouth off in the way I do, without getting shot, is a great place to be. This is, for me, the best country in the world and I won't take it for granted.

Gracie Jiu Jitsu
Yes, I am thankful for the gift of Jiu Jitsu. I'm thankful to Grandmaster Helio Gracie for giving us the gift of Jiu Jitsu, I'm thankful for all those who have dedicated their life to teaching it to others (Professor Pedro Sauer especially... for teaching my instructor Michael Foley) so that it eventually made its way down to me as I continue to learn, and for all the great people I've met on the mats.

That $99.25 that miraculously appeared in my bank account, and the $5 I found this morning.
It's true that money can't buy you happiness but what it does buy is freedom. Thanks to that $99.25 that miraculously showed up in my bank account (seriously still can't figure out why it was deposited) I was able to go out last night and have a helluva time. This beer's for you, $99.25.

I'm sure I missed some big things. Today I feel so lucky that I know it would be impossible not to miss something. Anyway, I have to get ready for the field this week. I have a lot of hate and discontent to send down range with the LAV III's this week, and I should have pics/videos to post, so until then, KCCO ;-)




No comments:

Post a Comment